Dollybird is Here!!!

IMG_3553

Dollybird (Coteau Books) arrived last week and the writing gods were watching over me at St. Michael’s Retreat in Lumsden, because that’s where I received my first box of books amidst the genius of Lawrence Hill, Helen Humphreys, Denise Chong, Ken Babstock, John Gould, and Kimmy Beach. They were the faculty at the Sage Hill Writing Experience and they were generous beyond words.  It doesn’t get much better for a first-time author than an impromptu book singing lesson from Lawrence Hill. I was so rattled, I promptly  forgot to add the date as instructed, but he very graciously sought me out later and had me fix it! I also received many tips on marketing and readings and the whole gamut of what will come now that the book is out. The participants at Sage Hill were wonderful and engaged (no one more so than the fiction workshop group with instructor Helen Humphreys!) and they bought a load of books which was the ultimate way of showing support for an author they’d only known ten days. Much wine, much fun and much good writing and reading. It was a surreal and awesome way to see a book into the world. And get a great start on the next.

Dollybird will be released August 15th in bookstores and online.  Thanks to all the fine people at Sage Hill and particularly Phillip Adams who kept us all on track and created a space like no other to realize our writing.

About these ads

8 Comments (+add yours?)

1. Kimmy Beach
    Aug 09, 2013 @ 17:10:47

So delighted to have been there to see your joy that day!

2. Lisa Guenther (@LtoG)
    Aug 19, 2013 @ 18:54:47

Congrats Anne! Just ordered your book, and can’t wait to read it.

If you don’t mind sharing, what other tips did Lawrence Hill give you on book signing?

• alazurko
      Aug 20, 2013 @ 18:48:32

Thanks Lisa! Hope you enjoy it. Basically the tips were: if you know the person something personal is appropriate, if not “best wishes” is fine. He doesn’t cross his printed name out when he signs because people don’t understand why you’re doing it! And people like it when you show the date and the place the book was signed. I promptly forgot to put the date on his copy of Dollybird, and he came back and made me fix it. Everybody had a good laugh!

3. Bill Groenen
    Aug 22, 2013 @ 18:48:34

Hi Anna
    Recieved Dollybird a few days ago. Great read….. much enjoyed. Congratulations and look forward to the next book.

• alazurko
      Aug 22, 2013 @ 19:24:06

Bill! So nice to hear from you. Can’t believe my book made it all the way to Spain! So glad you enjoyed it and thanks for letting me know. Take care.

4. Anonymous